United Way is working with other community leaders and organizations to find lasting solutions that build opportunity for all. We look at the big picture: what resources are lacking or need strengthening, and how we can address those gaps to help kids be able to “read to learn” by the end of third grade, and be on track to graduate.
Graduation from high school is a cornerstone to success in life and benefits the whole community. High school graduates earn more and contribute more to their local economies, are more engaged in their communities, and are more likely to raise kids who graduate.
Addressing causes of Poverty
RED FLAG INDICATORS
1 in 4
Children live in poverty.
1 in 5
Not ready for kindergarten.
1 in 2
Can’t read at grade level by third grade.
We fund programs with these key requirements
• Focus on Red Flag issues
• Use evidence based programming
• Annual output and outcomes impact reports
• Annual financial data
(0 – 6 yrs)
• Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library
• First Steps Dev. Quality Childcare
• Dev. Early Childhood Service
• Special Education Pre-Literacy
• Pre-School Literacy for Title 1 students
(5 – 18 yrs)
• Elementary Reading Tutors
• K-3rd grade Reading Buddies
• Community Based Mentors
• SPS Elementary Lunch Buddies in 15 schools
• Advancement & Education
• Academic & Sports Education
• Leadership Experience & Academics
• SPS Kids First
• School Backpack Program
• Caring Communites for Title 1 students
• Mentoring 101
• Career & Job Training
• Exploring & Venturing
• Leadership Experience
• Lifetime Learning for Disabled Adults